PDA

View Full Version : Windows VPS vs LINUX VPS

dezine_gen
09-07-2008, 13:21 PM
Hi,
I'm seeking expert opinion on Windows VPS vs LINUX VPS.

What is the difference between them and what are the benefits.

Thanks in advance for your help.

borninautumn
10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Everything depends on many factors: your skills, the site development language, and software you use. Budget also important because linux deals are usually cheaper than windows.

Boomber
10-03-2008, 05:28 AM
If I were you, I would choose windows VPS, because you will have more opportunities with windows. Linux is a bit cheaper, but as you may know this proverb - "you get what you pay for" is really suitable in this case. As for recommendation, have a look at Aspnix.com - Windows VPS solution at affordable prices and Serverpoint.com - linux and windows platforms and great variety of VPS solutions with abundance of unique features. Good luck!

keepyourbook
10-10-2008, 09:25 AM
The difference in prices and resources they provide.

Cubix
10-10-2008, 20:15 PM
I personally appreciate Linux very much. First, because it is not Mircosoft :D. Second, because it fits my personal user style. I feel Linux is a lot more powerful.

pakcik
10-18-2008, 20:07 PM
but if we compare with the security?? which one is the best and the most safety??

Terracotta
10-19-2008, 01:18 AM
It would be linux VPS, the popularity of Linux VPS is more than Windows.

trisswines
06-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Windows VPS servers and Linux VPS servers are both offered by many web hosting providers who wish to provide customers. Windows can offer you remote desktop access. This is easier for the less knowledgeable administrators of sites considering for a Linux VPS to be altered.

Nile Hadwards
06-23-2011, 04:38 AM
If your website relies on .net or visual basic, Windows hosting is an excellent choice. In fact, itís the only choice that will provide you what you need to accomplish building a website with these languages. Unix hosting is not able to use these languages and if you need to use either, it is essential that you select a Windows Hosting platform.

WHUK
06-24-2011, 00:22 AM
Choosing the Server Operating system depends upon the applications used to built your website. If you have a website built in asp, asp.net or MS-SQL or you are willing to use any Microsoft application like ColdFusion or any other, you will have to opt for a Windows VPS. If you have a website built in PHP or HTML, than you can opt for a Linux VPS. Windows server is a bit costly then Linux, because Windows is a licensed OS and the some of the applications supported on Windows like MS-SQL Standard or Enterprise edition needs licensing too whereas Linux is open source, so its OS, database and various other applications are free to use.

Delgado2009
07-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Linux VPS is much better.

jimfaster
07-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Choice of server operating system depends on the software used to create your website. If you have a website built in asp, asp.net or MS-SQL, or if you are ready to use a program like Microsoft or any other ColdFusion, you should choose a Windows hosting plan. If you have a website built in PHP or HTML that you can choose a plan based on Linux.

larry_vacuum
08-07-2011, 07:02 AM
i think windows VPS is better

larry_vacuum
08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
linux VPS is not bad!

TinaTinka
08-07-2011, 16:23 PM
Linux is a better operating system than Windows, that's for sure. But for one thing, Windows is better and always will remain so, probably. That is, everything is adapted to Windows, all of today's information and administrative infrastructure. So Windows is everywhere and everything is working, adapt it, to be compatible with it.

jcworlditsme
08-08-2011, 15:15 PM
I agree, Windows is just too unstable for use on a server.

Omkar5050
11-26-2011, 01:32 AM
What You Get With a Linux VPS

Linux is an open source program, which means its developers donít charge consumers to use the operating system. As such, most Linux-based products, including a Linux VPS, cost less than the products that work on commercial systems, like Windows. If budget is a concern, then you may want to use Linux VPS and a comparable system.

While a Linux VPS server can cost less, it often relies on a node that runs Virtuozzo VPS. Most Linux-based servers will require you to use SSH to manage the server. While some users donít like this feature, it does tend to provide a more reliable connection to the server, because it requires proper interaction to implement changes.

What You Get With a Windows VPS

Many web hosts consider a Windows VPS as a special form of VPS hosting, which means they charge more for it than they do for a Linux VPS. For the extra price, you may get more support options for web pages that use classic ASP and ASP.NET. If your website relies on this, you may find that it will crash if you try to host the site on a Linux VPS. With a Windows VPS server, you also get better support for Microsoftís SQL Server and Access databases.

Most Windows VPS servers utilize Hyper-V VPS hosting platforms designed to work well with Windows Server 2008. This can increase the reliability of the server. Additionally, Windows VPS often includes remote access, allowing you to provide server access to your administrators.

The Right VPS Server

As with many computer-related issues, the right VPS system may depend on your personal preference and your financial situation. If youíre a fan of Windows products, then you may prefer to use the same brand for your web hosting. The same applies to Linux users.

When it comes to choosing VPS hosting, choose the solution that will better fit your needs and your budget. :D