PDA

View Full Version : VPS vs Dedicated

amps
10-10-2008, 23:14 PM
Ok what are the pros and cons of going with either or a dedicated server. Are there situations where only either one or the other will do? I am a real noob in this regard so help me out.

WTZ - Zach
10-11-2008, 15:44 PM
Go with a VPS for a small site, go with a dedicated for REALLY huge, popular sites :)

ravi
10-12-2008, 00:25 AM
Only thing that matters before making decision between VPS or Dedicated server is your need. If your site don't need much resources..go for VPS else a dedicated server. Dedicated server also have different configuration.

can you share your budget and need??

Ar_kan
10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
If your web sites are not very big, microvps.com (http://microvps.com/) may be good for you. They offer better utilization of hardware resources, high availability, disaster recovery, migrating services to new platforms, etc.

karl-marx
10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Nice VPS deals are available from Gazzin.com. They allow customers to utilized RAM that are available on the system when the VPS itself requires unexpected RAM usage.
The choice of OSs is wide and it's up to you to choose the right one for yourself.

Boomber
10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
To my mind, you will have more higher speed connection with VPS hosting and dedicated server is a type of web hosting where the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone. Have a look at glowhost.com as this company will meet all your specifications.

Mp3
11-03-2008, 08:15 AM
I highly recommend you firstly to use VPS hosting instead of dedicated server. I think you should broaden the range of your search, check out serverpoint.com, vpslink.com and hostgator.com. Their long history in this business gives the reasons to treat them as the companies with highly redundant servers and quality support.

thpinky
11-23-2008, 18:06 PM
Dedicated is always better but then dedicated is more expensive. Use dedicated if you want to host a really big site or want to start your own hosting company.

AlvinMok
01-05-2009, 03:34 AM
it is nice to have a dedicated server.
but dunt forget that rather the the cost of the server
cost of running it including electrisity, place, maintanence etc. is also high

if choose vps
security, stability, performance are the major concerns
however, if you are lucky that you choose the best suited one,
you can really save a lot.
one tip on selecting vps provider is that
do not just focus on the spec of the host, consider the supporting service also :)

alan_smithee
02-05-2009, 21:48 PM
if you are on tight budget then vps is your friend as you can specifically manage it to suit your own needs, so there will be no wasting many on dedicated server if you are savvy enough to make best out of your vps

Ricardo-san
02-06-2009, 17:26 PM
VPS is ideal for medium websites with steady streams of traffic. Dedicated has no real benefits other than being more powerful.

tg01
02-07-2009, 15:38 PM
If you are running a relatively small website, then vps would be a better solution, being both cheaper and easier to manage for someone looking, in the long term, at dedicated servers.

Terracotta
02-08-2009, 11:02 AM
VPS is just a virtual solution if you want to get most of your hardwares then Dedicated Hosting is the best.

lyen125
06-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Only thing that matters before making decision between VPS or Dedicated server is your need. If your site don't need much resources..go for VPS else a dedicated server. Dedicated server also have different configuration.

I agree with him and it was good explanation also

Greg-Netost
06-27-2014, 02:02 AM
Ok what are the pros and cons of going with either or a dedicated server. Are there situations where only either one or the other will do? I am a real noob in this regard so help me out.

A VPS server is used when:
>Your site is too slow to handle the traffic voluime
>Your business is growing fast

Whereas a dedicated server is used when:
>a site must handle up to 35 million hits
>the site is not able to handle the traffic

aziz123
07-09-2014, 03:41 AM
Well according to my point of view VPS in more good as compare to dedicated.

karenthomas
07-10-2014, 08:33 AM
I think VPS stands for virtual private server (VPS), also called a virtual dedicated server (VDS). The virtual server is act like a dedicated server for a single user but is actually installed on a computer serving multiple Web sites.The VPS alternative is often chosen by small businesses that need a customized Web site but cannot afford a dedicated server. Another useful of VPS technology is the ability of a single customer to maintain multiple virtual servers. Finally,VPS means one server can share among them multiple user.

Dedicated server means that it is dedicated to the one client and it is not shared with any other client.Dedicated servers usually allow for the customer to choose what operating system is installed on it and what type of hardware are they used.Dedicated hosting server where you can find reliable options and minimize the response time for the user requests.

Bee2host
08-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Using a VPS is more of a safe option for a low budget project. Although it could turn out the best solution for you if it suits your needs and meet your expectations. You should know that VPS's share their resources with other VPS's so you might experience lag or a bit of downtime from time to time and that's the difference with a Dedicated machine.

NicholasM
08-24-2014, 05:04 AM
It depends on the number of visitors and weight of your site..

Leigh
08-19-2015, 04:20 AM
A dedicated server, or dedicated server hosting, is when a customer is renting a physical machine from a dedicated server hosting provider like Weberz. Depending on the hosting providers plans, the customer is normally able to customize the server hardware to meet their specific needs. This is allowed since they are the only user of the hardware and itís entirely allocated to that one customer.

Virtual servers are slightly more complex than dedicated servers. A virtual server is an operating system installation that shares the physical hardware of the server with other operating system installations. This is done by using different virtualization technologies that are available for the physical serverís primary operating system. Virtual servers are often referred to by many different names including virtual private servers or VPS.

girishkadam236
08-26-2015, 03:22 AM
if you are on tight budget then vps is your friend as you can specifically manage it to suit your own needs, so there will be no wasting many on dedicated server if you are savvy enough to make best out of your vps

I am totally agree with him

si.garima.16
08-27-2015, 02:14 AM
Today, smaller companies that want to set up a Web site, manage their own email flow, install sharing tools like OwnCloud (http://owncloud.org/), or otherwise run Internet-facing server-based software have a number of choices ranging from setting up machines on-premises to using outside service providers.
When I started ZATZ back in 1997, we didn't have that choice. If we wanted to run a relatively high-traffic Web server, we had to run it in-house. That meant we had to buy hardware and pay for dedicated Internet feeds with fixed IP addresses. Back then, especially for a self-funded startup, that was both mondo expensive and extremely time-consuming.

While hardware and bandwidth costs have gone down in the intervening years, hosting servers on site still requires you have at least one dedicated IP address and enough allocated bandwidth to handle the up and down traffic from the Internet. For most smaller companies, this isn't worth the hassle. In fact, way back in 2005, I moved the ZATZ servers into the cloud, co-locating them at a friendly ISP.
When you start looking at Internet hosting services, the main offering is Web serving. ISPs and hosting providers will provide you with services that allow you to build out one or more Web sites and serve pages to an audience. While you might also be looking for mail server hosting and mailing list management, those services are probably better run through specialty providers: Gmail and Office 365 for email and a mailing list service provider for list management. A couple of years ago, I wrote about the lock-in problem of email newsletter management (http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-lock-in-problem-of-email-newsletter-management/).
All of that brings us back to the discussion of hosting. If you want to run a Web site (or more than one -- I operate about 10), you'll want to choose between hosting the site yourself on a machine in your home or office, using a traditional shared hosting provider, using what's called a "virtual private server," building on a cloud service like Amazon's AWS, or renting a dedicated server.
The range in prices is quite considerable. You can get a nice little shared hosting account for as little as four bucks a month, but once you start adding dedicated servers, you're hitting a few hundred bucks a month and climbing.
BASIC SHARED HOSTINGLet's start off at the low end. If you have a simple Web site, say a site that hosts a resume or maybe a page or two description of your business with contact information, a cheap shared hosting service is just fine. You'll get by with spending less than $10 a month and never notice a problem.
There are some limits to these inexpensive plans. First, beware the term "unlimited" -- as in unlimited storage or unlimited bandwidth. When you're paying less than $10 a month, you will never, ever be unlimited. Either the terms of service will state what is considered acceptable use (and anything above that will be blocked, slowed down, or billed) or your bandwidth will be automatically throttled behind the scenes.
Beyond the limitations of unlimited, the concept of shared hosting - multi-tenanting - is all about the fact that you do not have exclusive use of your computing environment. You are sharing your CPU cycles, your machine's RAM, storage, and bus interface - as well as bandwidth - with other hosting customers. Some hosting providers do a good job of making sure that no one customer hogs up too many resources (see why "unlimited" can't be unlimited?), but others just let their customers run free with less oversight.

Recruitment (http://.org/)

cwvps
08-28-2015, 05:47 AM
It depends on you needs. If your site isn't really, really big, a good VPS would be excellent for you. It will give you privacy, control, support, cost control and security.

girishkadam236
09-15-2015, 06:58 AM
I will sugest you to go with vps if you have less budget and after you must upgrade to dedicated

findtaps
09-17-2015, 02:57 AM
vps better

deviljinali
11-08-2015, 16:39 PM
that depends on your needs and your budget, suppose i have a Game server with 50 slots, and my budget is 10$ i will go for a VPS.
and on the other hand if i had a Game server with 5000 slots,and my budget is 220$, i would go for an Dedicated server

Leo Privacy Guard (Best Privacy App) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leo.)

kamagraus
11-10-2015, 04:07 AM
I thinks both work for unique Ip.

bluewelthost
01-21-2016, 03:10 AM
VPS is a portitaions in a server with some specification where you have the resources dedicated for you, but where as in dedicated servers you own a complete server without any portions like that.
choosing VPS or dedicated depends on the required resources you need for your requirements

with regards,
Bluewelthost.com

sunilsunpeaks
01-25-2016, 04:05 AM
If you want make your site without any up gradation dedicated server will best one

aramgregor
02-12-2016, 07:49 AM
VPS
There are two kinds of VPS offered, the primary gives you a genuine virtual machine (which means you can run anything you need and are fundamentally root) and the second gives you a devoted facilitating control board (like cPanel), yet you impart the center Web server arrangement to different clients on the machine.
Dedicated Server
A dedicated server is only that: a server devoted to your sole use. You are no more offering the crate to any other person. While you lease it, the container found wherever your ISP has its server farm is yours to utilize and yours alone. By and large, this implies you're allowed to run whatever you need on the container, and if your database inquiries take an irrationally long time, the ISP isn't going to grumble, since you're not backing some other clients off.

Mark Thompson
02-12-2016, 10:18 AM
I think VPS stands for virtual private server (VPS), also called a virtual dedicated server (VDS). The virtual server is act like a dedicated server for a single user but is actually installed on a computer serving multiple Web sites.The VPS alternative is often chosen by small businesses that need a customized Web site but cannot afford a dedicated server. Another useful of VPS technology is the ability of a single customer to maintain multiple virtual servers. Finally,VPS means one server can share among them multiple user.

Tvchaska
02-26-2016, 08:46 AM
dedicated is an excellent product

peteralex
03-05-2016, 03:16 AM
Go with a VPS for a small site, go with a dedicated for REALLY huge, popular sites

Euservr
03-27-2016, 06:09 AM
You will get better performance with a dedicated server. If you have a low traffic site, you can choose vps.

mikiway2804
03-28-2016, 09:21 AM
If your web sites are not very big, microvps.com (http://microvps.com/) may be good for you.

tonnygaet
04-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Only thing that matters before settling on choice between VPS or Dedicated server is your need. In the event that your site needn't bother with much resources..go for VPS else a committed server. Devoted server likewise have diverse setup.

mikechan12
04-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Shared hosting is solely when many web sites are hosted on a single server, it easy to handle your individual web site. Despite the fact that server is shared, e-mail goes to your area title

learn2do
04-21-2016, 07:08 AM
People use VPS when they only need to run a small site, and if you are planning to contribute a big, long-term website, you need to go with a dedicated server.

sincats
05-25-2016, 00:38 AM
If you can afford dedicated then I would suggest it. I've been hosting websites for 15+ years and started with VPS. Fortunately you can get some really great deals these days on RAM and bandwidth for dedicated. Especially if you can manage the server yourself.

vrba69
08-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Delicated server is better totally, it is very strong and stable

serverbundle
08-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Dedicated if you have a good budget and if you really require dedicated resources.

VPS if you want to host multiple low traffic websites and isolate your all websites in one single server.

server sailor
11-13-2016, 02:15 AM
If you have a small website without much traffic then go with vps but if you have a large website with alot of traffic then go with vps.