Learning linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning linux

is there a site or forum where we can learn linux commands so we can run a server or vps
    Alfainet.com - Reliable, Affordable- http://www.alfainet.com
    Shared - Reseller Accounts
    99.99% Uptime - Check here

dont u cpanel have like a tutorial like at the top u should see TUTORIAL.

Comment

linux is a very interesting topic. its good that you are interested to know about linux. the best idea is to use google search engine where you can find a number of sites and you can select one of your choice which is easy and also effective.

Comment

I also wanted to learn linux but it's really hard for me. But I'm trying to find tutorial and read them for me to learn.
        Jennifer Rivera
        When you see a good move, look for a better one.

Comment

I see no one seems to have heard of google. The best reference of Linux commands that I've seen is at oreillynet. Search google for "linux command reference" and it should be the first result.

If you need general help as opposed to specific command references then go to Linux.org and click on courses.

Good luck.
          affordable web hosting

Comment

What is the use of linux when we have other user friendly OS such as window XP,Window Vista, Window 7....etc. Is there any advantage with Linux? If yes please tell me.

Comment

From my experience the best resource is http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml,
              it gives all the basic info for learning the ropes about linux.
              If you intend to get deeper knowledge, say vps setup, look somewhere else www.howtoforge.com
              A Year of Free Shared Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by gmiller
                What is the use of linux when we have other user friendly OS such as window XP,Window Vista, Window 7....etc. Is there any advantage with Linux? If yes please tell me.
                Well it depends what you're doing. The first advantage of Linux is that it is FREE and it is a much more stable operating system. There are arguments I don't want to get into about whether windows or linux is the more secure operating system but the main point is since Linux is open source - when a bug is discovered or a security hole is found, things are patched asap. Windows being a closed source operating system (it's source code is private company information) likes to sweep things under the rug when bugs and vulnerabilities are found. I've seen some of the same bugs in existence in windows XP for years. Security vulnerabilities often aren't patched until months after someone has had time to write a worm/virus to take advantage of that back door and spread to millions of computers. Then when enough pressure is on M$ finally might release a security patch. Many of the other advantages surround Linux being used as a workstation (for software development, server administration, etc). Personally I don't think it has too many other advantages as a Desktop except that you don't have to purchase as much software. Linux shines as a development workstation and as a server platform.
                affordable web hosting

Comment

There are a lot of great resources to help you learn about Linux.

For starters, linux has built in manuals:
                  man ls
                  man chmod
                  man chown
                  etc

There is also The Linux Documentation Project found at:
                  http://tldp.org/
                  which has a collection of HOWTOs, manuals, tutorials, guides, etc.

Don't go past webmin as well as the book:
                  http://www.webmin.com/books.html
                  "Managing Linux Systems with Webmin by Jamie Cameron"

Comment

Unix is the foundation for much of the Internet, many people are using or encountering it nowadays. As the Internet grows, Unix will become more popular, creating an array of new opportunities. If you're simply curious, looking to gain new job skills, or thinking about Linux as a low-cost platform for operating
                    Social Media Optimization and Marketing Company

Comment

Originally posted by max777
                      is there a site or forum where we can learn linux commands so we can run a server or vps
                      Which linux distro are you using and are you using any hosting control panel on your VPS?

Kailash

Comment

Here are some tutorial sites about Linux:
                        Code:
                        http://www.linux-tutorial.info/
                        http://lowfatlinux.com/
                        House plans | House and land | Display homes

Comment

For Linux command try this one: http://ss64.com/bash. It is very basic.
                          For Linux tutorial try this one: http://lowfatlinux.com. It gives you in-depth knowledge.

Comment

Thanks for sharing with us, I hope these will help to the readers.

Comment

You need not to find any particular site for that. just search in google what you want to do. There will be a dozen of tutorials for that. you can remember the comands by repetition because practice makes a man perfect!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
                              1 of 2 < >

FreeHostForum Rules and Guidelines

Webmaster forum - Web Hosting Forum,Domain Name Forum, Web Design Forum, Travel Forum,World Forum, VPS Forum, Reseller Hosting Forum, Free Hosting Forum

Signature

Board-wide Policies:

Do not post links (ads) in posts or threads in non advertising forums.

Forum Rules
                              Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or will be banned.

Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc.

Spam is not tolerated here in most circumstances. Users posting spam will be banned. The words and links will be censored.

The moderating, support and other teams reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.

Any text links or images contain popups will be removed or changed.

Signatures
                              Signatures may contain up to four lines

Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.

Font sizes above 3 are not allowed

Links are permitted in signatures. Such links may be made to non-Freehostforum material, commercial ventures, etc. Links are included within the text and image limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal.

You are allowed ONLY ONE picture(banner) upto 120 pixels in width and 60 pixels in height with a maximum 30kB filesize.

In combination with a banner/picture you can have ONLY ONE LINE text link.

Advertising
                              Webmaster related advertising is allowed in Webmaster Marketplace section only. Free of charge.

Shopping related (tangible goods) advertising is allowed in Buy Sell Trade section only. Free of charge.

No advertising allowed except paid stickies in other sections.

Please make sure that your post is relevant.

More to come soon....
                              2 of 2 < >

Advertise at FreeHostForum

We offer competitive rates and a many kinds of advertising opportunities for both small and large scale campaigns.More and more webmasters find advertising at FreeHostForum.com is a useful way to promote their sites and services. That is why we now have many long-term advertisers.

At here, we also want to thank you all for your support.

For more details:
                              http://www.freehostforum.com/threads...eHostForum-com

More ad spots:
                              http://www.freehostforum.com/forums/...-FreeHostForum
                              See more
                              See less
                              Working...
                              X