Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to start, help me!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have read quite a few things but am not 100% clear on what I should be looking for when it comes to a VPS provider.

I run a small forum and social networking site, my web guy has told me that it is time I move towards a VPS solution, but that is the extent of the guidance I have received. As you can imagine I have a few questions:

VPS or Dedicated? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

What is a good starting price point for a valued VPS service?

What are the minimum specs I should be looking for and expecting?

What are some things I should be on the lookout for to avoid?

What are considered (generally) to be the, let's say top 10 companies in the industry?

Also, if you are currently using someone that you are happy with at the moment, please tell me why you are happy with them, and what they may be lacking.

That should get me off to a great start

I appreciate the help and opinions.

Best Regards,
    James

Hello James!
    If you need small solution I think that should be VPS.
    I can recommend you start with http://pivotalweb.com/valueplans.php
    They are not expensive + now you can have any VPS 15% cheaper (use 15life coupon )

Comment

Yeah, VPS hosting solution would be more reasonable to choose because you will have much better uptime and speed connectivity. I think that you should trust specialization of the company and microvps.com can meet all your expectations on favorable terms.

Comment

A quality shared hosting account has more power than a low end vps.

A decent vps is about half the cost of a low end dedi.

What problems are you having? How many users online? Give us some details to work with.
        ScriptMan
        Host unlimited domains as low as $2.95 month

Comment

I can agree about pivotalweb.com is a good place to start the hosting. The company is becoming 50% more reasonable and profitable with the discount codes.

Also try looking up marblehost.com - this company would help you to save money on domain registration and transferring.

Comment

Well, I have read nice feedbacks and reviews about microvps.com and I think that you will have nice hosting opportunities if you deal with this company. As it turned out, from the beginning they have been providing 24/7 support, and have an amazing reputation for providing secured VPS in very low price.

Comment

Dedicated Servers would be useful if you are looking out for high bandwidth, large storage and need a server only for you.

In a VPS server you would still be sharing space with other customers. But it is useful if you need SSH, guaranteed RAM and guaranteed processor speed.

Comment

If you have enough budget to deal with such professionals as globaltap.com, I believe you might get a VPS from them, and reliability issues won't disturb you. I think Vps is better to start from and you can upgrade anytime. Starting is better from smaller and going upwards.

Also the resourceful shared account like is offered by routhost.com could be good for you as this is a huge plat for fo start.

Comment

Better start from smaller - the VPS. its main disadvantage before dedicated server is trhe shared system resources like CPU and RAM. All other things are similar to the usual dedicated server.

There are many good suggestions came up, and I would like to point out the company called pivotalweb.com for their quality and lower cost expecially with the discount code 15life.

Also really great VPS deals are offered by such provider as hostingsource.com, which s currently discounting the VPS and dedicated servers by hal usingf the coupon 50%Discount

Comment

Nice VPS providers are hostingincanada.com, eurovps.com and glowhost.com.
                    Their plans can be good for the web masters with various goals and their pricing policy is simple and straightforward.

Comment

From what I know much depends on taking a services from a stable provider, that is why I recommedn webhostingbuzz.com - the compay has really stable VPS and really great prices for them, especially considering their discount code WHBROCKS. Cmpany is onlinje for five years already and I do not think they would be still alive proving bad services.

Comment

I would start off with shared webhosting first, then build myself up. Profit is very important and since VPS and Dedicated are expensive you should count your estimations twice before making a decision.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
                        1 of 2 < >

FreeHostForum Rules and Guidelines

Webmaster forum - Web Hosting Forum,Domain Name Forum, Web Design Forum, Travel Forum,World Forum, VPS Forum, Reseller Hosting Forum, Free Hosting Forum

Signature

Board-wide Policies:

Do not post links (ads) in posts or threads in non advertising forums.

Forum Rules
                        Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or will be banned.

Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc.

Spam is not tolerated here in most circumstances. Users posting spam will be banned. The words and links will be censored.

The moderating, support and other teams reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.

Any text links or images contain popups will be removed or changed.

Signatures
                        Signatures may contain up to four lines

Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.

Font sizes above 3 are not allowed

Links are permitted in signatures. Such links may be made to non-Freehostforum material, commercial ventures, etc. Links are included within the text and image limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal.

You are allowed ONLY ONE picture(banner) upto 120 pixels in width and 60 pixels in height with a maximum 30kB filesize.

In combination with a banner/picture you can have ONLY ONE LINE text link.

Advertising
                        Webmaster related advertising is allowed in Webmaster Marketplace section only. Free of charge.

Shopping related (tangible goods) advertising is allowed in Buy Sell Trade section only. Free of charge.

No advertising allowed except paid stickies in other sections.

Please make sure that your post is relevant.

More to come soon....
                        2 of 2 < >

Advertise at FreeHostForum

We offer competitive rates and a many kinds of advertising opportunities for both small and large scale campaigns.More and more webmasters find advertising at FreeHostForum.com is a useful way to promote their sites and services. That is why we now have many long-term advertisers.

At here, we also want to thank you all for your support.

For more details:
                        http://www.freehostforum.com/threads...eHostForum-com

More ad spots:
                        http://www.freehostforum.com/forums/...-FreeHostForum
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X