PDA

View Full Version : Be aware !

webgear
02-22-2005, 15:52 PM
Be aware of scamming web host: Why do so many hosting companies sell unlimited/unmetered bandwidth on shared hosting plans? How are they able to offer such plans and what would happen if every one of their customers decided to use 20GB bandwidth for their $5/mo unlimited/unmetered bandwidth plan?

Answer: They oversell/false advertise their bandwidth then hope you never use it, most of them will find a reason to cancel your account or make you pay extra money if you decided to use more bandwidth than what they can "REALLY" offer even though they advertised unlimited/unmetered. Usually these web host buy a plan like $5/mo for 20GB bandwidth with multiple domain hosting support and they resell this 1 account to alot of people and let all their customers share that 20GB bandwidth then sit and hope their customers don't use it up, that's how most of them works, the reason why they advertise unlimited/metered bandwidth on their plans because they are too scared to let people know their "REAL" bandwidth allowance. These scammer web hosts have the following things in common, they only accept payments from paypal, they have email and/or chat support but no telephone support, some of them will have an invalid or answering machine only telephone number.

sunken
02-22-2005, 18:51 PM
One thing is to make sure you read their AUP carefully when signing up. It usually says in the fine print that that unlimited bandwidth is limited for certain websites and what that limit is. If they don't mention that, then steer clear as you'll probably get burned in the end. I'd rather know the law of the land rather than go over it accidently.

alegendxx
02-22-2005, 19:31 PM
I know a company that offers both unmetered bandwidth and space, they say they keep upgrading the servers so you will never run out of bandwidth or space, but that is probaly a lie! There was someone who got there account suspended over there because they used to much disk space!

senaia
02-22-2005, 22:46 PM
Its simply overselling and they hope you won't exceed the bandwidth limit that they really have. The same is said about web space where they offer you over 2000-5000 MB web space for $7.77

As someone told me before. Overselling is like alcool, you should not abuse.

dc1Hosting
02-23-2005, 13:29 PM
Unmetered bandwidth and space is just unavailable,

All harddrives have a end capicity and all bandwidth needs paying for. Companies whom advertise this so called "unlimited" option i woudl saty away from.

Petter
02-25-2005, 14:15 PM
I've seen this somewere before! I hate "unlimited"/"unlimited" .. it dont exist and i know it .. :)

hotrod1
03-07-2005, 19:23 PM
Yeah I know and its sad when people actually dont think about it and signup for these deals.

kw31
03-07-2005, 22:28 PM
Stay away from "Unlimited", "Unmetered" hosts
Either they'll charge for one year's money and run off in a few months, or their servers will crash and run slow all the time!!

WebForging
03-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Just like everything else, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Regards,
Keith

Danny
03-09-2005, 06:44 AM
The otehr day I found out something bad about the server my friends host www.host-unlimited.com was on

They were hosted by someone (can't remember in my other inbox on other PC) And they had over 400 clients on the server. Now if the clients would of purchased their lowest package they would of sold over 20000 Gigs of Bandwidth. You probably realise that this would need maybe a Quad Xeon with at least 2 Gig Ram, couple of big HDD. and a big line.

Well the thing that made me laugh was the fact the server was infact

Celeron 1.7GHZ
512 Ram
80 Gig HDD
1000Gig Bandwidth

I will post the URl of the host tonight when I return to my other PC

Danny

toughshot
03-11-2005, 09:20 AM
nice write up hits every point.

majinbuu1023
03-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Yup ALWAYS read the tos!

hbalagh
03-26-2005, 19:02 PM
I totally don't believe any company that claims to give unlimted bandwidth specially when they offer it for such a low price

Veolus
03-27-2005, 23:20 PM
There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth.

hotrod1
03-28-2005, 18:33 PM
Yeah now they are doing the "unmetered" bandwith which makes sense because basically they just dont monitor your bandwith. Even reputable companies like The Planet are using this now.

Veolus
03-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Yeah there is only such thing as unmetered bandwidth.

james0131
01-30-2014, 05:37 AM
You must go through their reviews section about their unlimited plan which give to good idea that they actual provide this services or not which helps to decide