Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is DDOS attack?

My site was attacking days ago and another forum aswell
    WHat IS DDOS attack, Im not an expert so i simple explanation will works fine for me

thanks so much
    TRIBALHOST.NET - Realiable and Cheap Shoutcast Hosting
    50 slots $10 dollars month
    100 slots $20 dollars month

Re: What is DDOS attack?

Distributed Denial Of Service, the hackers simply overflow your website with special techique which results in your site getting down.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the simple answer.
      Now i would like to know hacker tecnics and how to avoid DDOS

Comment

For example they do a virus/trojan what is infecting hundreads of computers and flood 1 computer/website.

Regards

Comment

In sumary is not possible to avoid DDOS attack, but with firewalls you can contrarest effects and consecuenses right?

Comment

The best way to avoid DDOS attacks it is to contact your host, if you are located in datacenter, I would contact technical support of the datacenter. They have responsibility to keep your site running on. I don't personally know how to avoid, but myself I was under ddoss attack from a while and I contacted my host and after one week it ended. I got also mail from my hosting company and they said, that they had contacted FBI technical apartament for abussing their service. I think big datacenters have power, so don't hestitate to contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by Noner
              The best way to avoid DDOS attacks it is to contact your host, if you are located in datacenter, I would contact technical support of the datacenter. They have responsibility to keep your site running on. I don't personally know how to avoid, but myself I was under ddoss attack from a while and I contacted my host and after one week it ended. I got also mail from my hosting company and they said, that they had contacted FBI technical apartament for abussing their service. I think big datacenters have power, so don't hestitate to contact them.
              I was under DDOS asweel , I thik is a good idea talk with your host provider

Comment

I used to visit a site that would get DDOS attacked quite a bit. Someone didn't want the site owner to do well with her business so they made it where her site would always go down. She invested in a system to protect it. I forgot what it was called, but it was something rather expensive.
                How to Make Money Advertising...

Comment

Now our server is using a custom ip/table configuration , is working pretty well by now, I dont know why people like to attack servers or sites.

Comment

it is multiple bot attack. It can cause huge waste of bandwidth and cash as well as high downtime. THere are some protection mechanisms available

Comment

a safe way to get rid of ddos is to have a better rated firewall service opted for.. the hackers simply affect our computers. i have also tried this as a part of my research once and was partly successful. so prevention is the best cure for this.

Comment

One way you can help with DDOS outbound attacks is Mod_security on an apache server. You can also put the server behind a hardware and software firewall. A popular software firewall is APF by RF networks, and most D.C's offer Cisco Firewall protection as an additional service which places your ips behind a firewall for further protection. No real way to prevent all DDOS attacks, however, hardware firewalls will begin filtering out ips that are being used in the DDOS keeping damage to a minimum
                        James
                        Trexhost.com- Choose With Confidence
                        Secure, Reliable, Customer Friendly Web Hosting
                        Dual Core/Dual Processor Xeon WoodCrest Servers
                        4GB Ram, 99.9% uptime.

Comment

what is a ddos?
                          say your server has a 100mbit connection, hackers will overflow your server with a 500mbit connection resulting in a crash
                          how to avoid?
                          its IMPOSSIBLE to avoid it for 100%
                          you can ofcourse:
                          make sure your connection is burstable. so you actully use a 100mbit connection, but if someone attacks you it will burst to a 500mbit connection.
                          and then you can ban the attackers ip adress.

Comment

There's a nice read on the topic at http://www.securitydocs.com/library/2616
                            The part I especially like is

Mitigation

Antivirus software – Installing antivirus software with the latest virus definitions will help prevent your system from becoming a DoS zombie. Now, more then ever, this is an important feature that you must have. With lawsuits so prevalent, not having the proper protection can leave you open for downstream liability.

Software updates - Keep your software up to date at all times. This includes antivirus, email clients, and network servers. You also need to keep all network Operating Systems installed with the latest security patches. Microsoft has done a great job with making these patches available for their Windows distributions. Linux has been said to be more secure, but the patches are far more scarce. RedHat is planning on incorporating the NSA's SE Linux kernel into future releases. This will give Mandatory Access Control (MAC) capabilities to the Linux community.

Network protection - Using a combination of firewalls and Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) can cut down on suspicious traffic and can make the difference between logged annoyance and your job. Firewalls should be set to deny all traffic that is not specifically designed to pass through. Integrating an IDS will warn you when strange traffic is present on your network. This will assist you in finding and stopping attacks.

Network device configuration – Configuring perimeter devices like routers can detect and in some cases prevent DoS attacks. Cisco routers can be configured to actively prevent SYN attacks starting in Cisco IOS 11.3 and higher using the TCP intercept command in global configuration mode.

access-list number {deny | permit} tcp any destination destination-wildcard
                            ip tcp intercept list access-list-number
                            ip tcp intercept ? (will give you a good list of other options.)

Cisco routers can prevent Smurf and Fraggle attacks by blocking broadcast traffic. Since Cisco IOS 12.0, this is the default configuration. ACLs or access control lists should also be configured on all interfaces.

no ip directed-broadcast

The Cisco router can also be used to prevent IP spoofing.

ip access-group list in interface
                            access-list number deny icmp any any redirect
                            access-list number deny ip 127.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
                            access-list number deny ip 224.0.0.0 31.255.255.255 any
                            access-list number deny ip host 0.0.0.0 any
                            See Improving Security on Cisco Routers - www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/21.html

Old Cisco IOS versions are vulnerable to several DoS attacks. The “Black Angels” wrote a program called Cisco Global Exploiter. This is a great software to use when testing the security of your Cisco router version and configuration and can be found at http://www.blackangels.it/Projects/cge.htm

Security is not as mystical as people believe. DoS attacks come in many different types and can be devastating if you don't take the proper precautions. Keep up to date and take steps to secure network nodes. Keeping security in mind can minimize damages, downtime, and save your career.

So, choosing a host make sure all the tips are considered, I also see "Hacker Safe" badges at hosts' sites, the one is at http://www.webhostingbuzz.com/websit...shared-hosting, I think altogether it may guarantee you server stability.

Comment

denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted, malevolent efforts of a person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely.

Perpetrators of DoS attacks typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even DNS root servers.

One common method of attack involves saturating the target (victim) machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable. In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by:

* forcing the targeted computer(s) to reset, or consume its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service; or,
                              * obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.
                              D4ce
                              Bitslinker
                              Fxan
                              Zitc

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
                              1 of 2 < >

FreeHostForum Rules and Guidelines

Webmaster forum - Web Hosting Forum,Domain Name Forum, Web Design Forum, Travel Forum,World Forum, VPS Forum, Reseller Hosting Forum, Free Hosting Forum

Signature

Board-wide Policies:

Do not post links (ads) in posts or threads in non advertising forums.

Forum Rules
                              Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or will be banned.

Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc.

Spam is not tolerated here in most circumstances. Users posting spam will be banned. The words and links will be censored.

The moderating, support and other teams reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.

Any text links or images contain popups will be removed or changed.

Signatures
                              Signatures may contain up to four lines

Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.

Font sizes above 3 are not allowed

Links are permitted in signatures. Such links may be made to non-Freehostforum material, commercial ventures, etc. Links are included within the text and image limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal.

You are allowed ONLY ONE picture(banner) upto 120 pixels in width and 60 pixels in height with a maximum 30kB filesize.

In combination with a banner/picture you can have ONLY ONE LINE text link.

Advertising
                              Webmaster related advertising is allowed in Webmaster Marketplace section only. Free of charge.

Shopping related (tangible goods) advertising is allowed in Buy Sell Trade section only. Free of charge.

No advertising allowed except paid stickies in other sections.

Please make sure that your post is relevant.

More to come soon....
                              2 of 2 < >

Advertise at FreeHostForum

We offer competitive rates and a many kinds of advertising opportunities for both small and large scale campaigns.More and more webmasters find advertising at FreeHostForum.com is a useful way to promote their sites and services. That is why we now have many long-term advertisers.

At here, we also want to thank you all for your support.

For more details:
                              http://www.freehostforum.com/threads...eHostForum-com

More ad spots:
                              http://www.freehostforum.com/forums/...-FreeHostForum
                              See more
                              See less
                              Working...
                              X