AD MANAGEMENT

Collapse

BEHOSTED

Collapse

GOOGLE

Collapse

What is the difference between Unix/Linux and a Windows hosting plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between Unix/Linux and a Windows hosting plan?

Hey friends recently in i completed a short course of Linux so i am new for this. I need to know that what is the difference between Unix/Linux and a windows hosting plan. Can someone explain me details about that??

The biggest difference of the two is the purpose they are going to be used for. Linux hosting platform is best for the traditional websites with graphics, texts, ecommerce, etc.) Windows hosting platform can handle the more detailed, interactive characteristics.
    HostSoch :: India's Best WordPress hosting Provider.
    Shared hosting | Dedicated server hosting | Domain Registration

Comment

I think that the Linux one can provide with more flexibility and security.

Comment

I find linux flexible and stable where windows is not that better
        Last edited by cherlysmith; 09-20-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Both windows hosting and linux hosting has their own importance and you cannot ignore any of them. It actually depends on your requirements to choose whichever you work suits more.
          Cheap VPS Hosting | VPS Starting from $1
          Cheap Dedicated Server | Free IPMI | Unmetered Bandwidth

Comment

The biggest distinction of the 2 is that the purpose they're getting to be used for. UNIX hosting platform is best for the standard websites with graphics, texts, ecommerce, etc.) Windows hosting platform will handle the additional careful, interactive characteristics.
            Seo hosting
            Cheap vps

Cheap dedicated server

Comment

I see more misleading post in this forum as well.

Linux has been proven to be more stable in windows (Windows server 2003 and down) I haven't truely checking Windows 2008+.
              As for security Linux and Windows is only going to be secure as the Server administrator makes it. If windows couldn't be secured it wouldn't exist in the professional world any more. Linux over time have show that security flaws get quickly pointed out because of its open source natures where windows doesn't have enough developers to review millions of lines of code to find those flaw, which could cause slower patching. But because Windows is closed source, those holes aren't as easily found.

Why would you chose linux of windows vice versa. It really depends on what you want to host. If its a PHP site then odds are it can host with Linux and Windwos, but if you have a site with .net framework, ASP, or some other windows side programming then windows is going to be your choice. However there are Linux work arounds to run ASP under linux etc.

So the bottom line is, the host plateform you choose will be base on the Technology needs and not the OS.
              Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
              Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
              99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
              Over 1 Year in Business

Comment

Linux is better than any other else.

Comment

Windows is mostly used for ASP.NET and MSSQL hosting

Comment

Originally posted by !bobcharry View Post
                    I think that the Linux one can provide with more flexibility and security.
                    I think you are right. It is very good for security.

Comment

different flavors of same operating system
                      Best Free Web Hosting | Best Web Browser

Comment

Unix hosting is is a web hosting service that operates on a UNIX machine.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
                        1 of 2 < >

FreeHostForum Rules and Guidelines

Webmaster forum - Web Hosting Forum,Domain Name Forum, Web Design Forum, Travel Forum,World Forum, VPS Forum, Reseller Hosting Forum, Free Hosting Forum

Signature

Board-wide Policies:

Do not post links (ads) in posts or threads in non advertising forums.

Forum Rules
                        Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or will be banned.

Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc.

Spam is not tolerated here in most circumstances. Users posting spam will be banned. The words and links will be censored.

The moderating, support and other teams reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.

Any text links or images contain popups will be removed or changed.

Signatures
                        Signatures may contain up to four lines

Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.

Font sizes above 3 are not allowed

Links are permitted in signatures. Such links may be made to non-Freehostforum material, commercial ventures, etc. Links are included within the text and image limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal.

You are allowed ONLY ONE picture(banner) upto 120 pixels in width and 60 pixels in height with a maximum 30kB filesize.

In combination with a banner/picture you can have ONLY ONE LINE text link.

Advertising
                        Webmaster related advertising is allowed in Webmaster Marketplace section only. Free of charge.

Shopping related (tangible goods) advertising is allowed in Buy Sell Trade section only. Free of charge.

No advertising allowed except paid stickies in other sections.

Please make sure that your post is relevant.

More to come soon....
                        2 of 2 < >

Advertise at FreeHostForum

We offer competitive rates and a many kinds of advertising opportunities for both small and large scale campaigns.More and more webmasters find advertising at FreeHostForum.com is a useful way to promote their sites and services. That is why we now have many long-term advertisers.

At here, we also want to thank you all for your support.

For more details:
                        http://www.freehostforum.com/threads...eHostForum-com

More ad spots:
                        http://www.freehostforum.com/forums/...-FreeHostForum
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X