Free Domain? Is it wise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Domain? Is it wise?

Is it wise to avail the free domain offer from webhosts?

I ask this because what if in the future you decide to switch your webhost and the webhosting company creates problems in transferring your domains.

What are your suggestions?

Thank You!
    Hope to hear a reply soon!

Re: Free Domain? Is it wise?

Your concern is right. Most web hosting companies are resellers of domains (not registrars themselves). If you want to keep full control on your domain name, register it with a full fledged registrar with good reputation.

Comment

I wouldnt recommend free domain. Its better to reg it and have full control of it. I am sure having full control is worth the reg fee.

Comment

I also would not recommend free domain. Its better to reg it and have full control of it. I am sure having full control is worth the reg fee.

Comment

I dont think its worth. most of the time those hosting companies keep the ownership of the domain name. One day if you would want to change the host you would loose both domain and your traffic.

Comment

IMO is not worth to get these,now the reg fee of a domain is cheap.For example,if you reg a .com it only cost you about $7.If you bought a webhosting plan with a free domain,it maybe cost $xx and even $xxx.So IMO is not worth.

Comment

never risk a site on a free host etc on which u gonna put ur time and efforts

Comment

DDboard gives full control domains. They register your domain by Domain Right Now and push it to you. So you can use it by full control.

Comment

I have one site that has been registered by my webhost. I think it might be a problem to be honest. But they have told me where they registered the site, and they've registered it to my name. I just checked the whois and they already registered it for 2 years (until my hosting ends). So I'm glad that's already paid for. I don't really know what would happen if I were to create an account at that registrar...but as long as I know they put it to my name, there shouldn't be that much of a problem if I want to move to another host.
                  Free Directory Submissions | Write For Us (free)

Comment

Like most people said, it's best to buy and park your own domain. Then you know everything that happens around it, you have full control over it. If you choose some free one that comes with a hosting plan, it might get disabled and turn to a search engine or something.
                    Please +rep me if you think my post helped you

Comment

I never used a free domain from my host.
                      I just register any domain with them for testing purposes while I keep my "serious" domains at my registrar.

Comment

if you are going to develop that site then its worth it. dont worry about the transfers.they are easy go for it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
                        1 of 2 < >

FreeHostForum Rules and Guidelines

Webmaster forum - Web Hosting Forum,Domain Name Forum, Web Design Forum, Travel Forum,World Forum, VPS Forum, Reseller Hosting Forum, Free Hosting Forum

Signature

Board-wide Policies:

Do not post links (ads) in posts or threads in non advertising forums.

Forum Rules
                        Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or will be banned.

Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc.

Spam is not tolerated here in most circumstances. Users posting spam will be banned. The words and links will be censored.

The moderating, support and other teams reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.

Any text links or images contain popups will be removed or changed.

Signatures
                        Signatures may contain up to four lines

Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, etc.

Font sizes above 3 are not allowed

Links are permitted in signatures. Such links may be made to non-Freehostforum material, commercial ventures, etc. Links are included within the text and image limits above. Links to offensive sites may be subject to removal.

You are allowed ONLY ONE picture(banner) upto 120 pixels in width and 60 pixels in height with a maximum 30kB filesize.

In combination with a banner/picture you can have ONLY ONE LINE text link.

Advertising
                        Webmaster related advertising is allowed in Webmaster Marketplace section only. Free of charge.

Shopping related (tangible goods) advertising is allowed in Buy Sell Trade section only. Free of charge.

No advertising allowed except paid stickies in other sections.

Please make sure that your post is relevant.

More to come soon....
                        2 of 2 < >

Advertise at FreeHostForum

We offer competitive rates and a many kinds of advertising opportunities for both small and large scale campaigns.More and more webmasters find advertising at FreeHostForum.com is a useful way to promote their sites and services. That is why we now have many long-term advertisers.

At here, we also want to thank you all for your support.

For more details:
                        http://www.freehostforum.com/threads...eHostForum-com

More ad spots:
                        http://www.freehostforum.com/forums/...-FreeHostForum
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X